What Does Engine Oil Do?
At LOF-Xpress™ we want you, as a vehicle owner, to understand the importance of regular oil changes. It’s the best thing you can do for your car!
Here are 5 things that you might NOT know about engine oil:
- Engine oil lubricates engine parts to prevent metal-on-metal contact. It also captures dirty deposits created during the combustion process so they can be removed when you get an oil change.
- Engine oils are rated in two ways: cold viscosity and hot viscosity. Cold viscosity (the number before the ‘W’, ex. 5W-30) rates the oil’s thickness at 0°F – the lower the number, the less the oil thickens in the cold, which makes starting the engine easier in freezing temperatures. Hot viscosity (the number after the dash, ex. 5W-30) rates the oil’s thickness at 212°F – the higher the number, the more resistant the oil is to thinning, which helps it better lubricate and protect your engine.
- Synthetic oils are more than just oil – they are a man-made lubricants that consists of artificially made chemical compounds. They are created to provide superior anti-wear, anti-corrosion, and cleaning properties.
- All of our oils are better for your engine than plain conventional oil. As an aside, the majority of our oil comes from an Iowa-based refinery!
- Synthetic motor oil often provides longer recommended intervals between oil changes. Always refer to your owner’s manual for these specifications.
Because we know and understand the intricacies of engine oil, you just need to know the basics, like when to change your oil according to your specific manufacturer’s recommendation, and where to get it changed. On that last point, we have a suggestion – your local Ames or Ankeny LOF-Xpress™ store! Let our technicians handle the details while you sit back & relax with a warm drink and the satisfaction of knowing you are in good hands.