Service Time: (Approximately: 5-10 +/- Minutes)
- Reduce Oil Consumption: Helps reduce oil consumption.
- Removes Moisture: Removes damaging moisture from the oil.
- Reduce Crank Pressure: Helps eliminate excessive crankcase pressure from forming.
WHAT DO FUEL INJECTORS DO?
- The PCV system draws leftover combustion gases from the crankcase (the oil pan and bottom of the engine) and routes them back into the engine via the intake manifold, where they’re burned in the combustion chambers instead of escaping into the atmosphere via your exhaust system.
- The PCV system also helps remove moisture (which is a major contaminant) from the crankcase.
- The purpose of the PCV valve is to meter the flow of the vapor from the crankcase to the intake manifold. This is necessary in order to provide proper ventilation for the crankcase, while not upsetting the fuel/air mixture for combustion.
- An improperly operating PCV valve can lead to:
- The motor oil will quickly become contaminated.
- Heavy sludge accumulations beginning to form.
- Internal parts, not protected by the motor oil, will begin to rust and/or corrode due to the water and acids that will become trapped within the crankcase.
- The flow of crankcase vapor into the intake manifold will not be properly metered. This, in turn, will upset the fuel/air mixture for combustion and cause rough idling or even stalling of the engine.
- Intake and exhaust valves, in addition to spark plugs, may be prematurely worn affecting performance and requiring expensive repairs.
WHEN TO SERVICE?
- Mileage and/or Time: Services are due based on manufacturers recommendation of mileage and/or time.
- Testing and/or Condition: Shaking the PCV Valve and not hearing the valve ‘rattle’, are signs that it needs replaced.
- Abnormalities: If there is excessive sludge or moisture. (see repair facility for further diagnosis & repair)
*Disclaimer: All Additional Services are Recommended Based on Mileage, unless otherwise noted or previous service history is available to reference.
PCV Valve conditions are used for illustration and informative purposes for the customer.